Monday, April 26, 2010

We Climbed The Day Away

Another nice spring Monday begging to be filled with climbing. Mark and I headed up to The Dihedrals Area in Little Cottonwood Canyon in the morning with Ben, had some tacos for dinner at Lone Star then headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon in the evening with Jennilyn. As we were driving home he said, "Well Katie we climbed the day away..." It was such a satisfying thing to hear. In the Dihedrals I practiced a few multi pitch techniques I wanted to learn and we all ended up doing 5 pitches of climbing. My favorite of the day was Half-A-Finger. I think I'll make this a project. I really liked it. There you can see the "half a finger" formation at the top of the route.This last little move may not look so graceful, but I thought it was the funnest part. Jam your entire arm in the overhanging crack by the finger and pull yourself up. I can't wait to go back already.Ben is one of my co-workers and he's an awesome boulderer. We talk climbing at work a lot, and we've climbed at the gym a couple times, but he'd never climbed on a rope outside. This was his first trip up the canyon for some real climbing. He did awesome and even made it halfway up the 5.11 Mark climbed. I was impressed. He's already asking me when he can come with us again.Mark belaying us up...he may look casual about it, but I trust him with my life.

No comments: