Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Candy and Imagination

I don't think there's anything better for kids than candy and imagination. Do you really need to teach kids to enjoy candy? No of course not what a stupid question. The same goes for imagination. But these days with sports teams, video games, and organic foods and all that other healthy business you might have to do a little coaxing to help them really understand how fun both of these things are. And if you want them to enjoy candy as much as I enjoy candy then yes, believe it or not, there needs to be a little training involved... (including how to get Nerds out. What is Jacob doing with his finger in the box???)
Most of you know my house was robbed last December. I've been slow to replace anything, including my TV and any of the gaming systems I had. They used to be what occupied my nieces and nephews when they came over to my house. So since then they've had to resort to old fashion imagination types of fun. This weekend it came down to playing in boxes. At first I saw them crawling in this box and rolling around while the others just kicked them which didn't look so fun but luckily that didn't last long. Then I saw these two climbing the stairs like this. What an accident waiting to happen! So I distracted them with candy. These two are well on their way to developing as many cavities as their Aunt Katie. I was so proud.
It kind of reminded me of giving treats to my dog to make her do tricks but in this case they didn't do any tricks they just made a mess and I was left with a pile of nerds on the floor when they finally waddled away. But it was all in the name of progress and education of the next generation. I think I'll go watch some Willy Wonka movies now...

3 comments:

J and J Bowen said...

you've been so busy living life...you're going to hit thirty with a beautiful bang!!! I feel Like all i've done the past few months is change astrinomical amounts of diapers and master loosing my temper with my two year old... who is just trying to be two. I'm glad you've gotten in to this blogging thing I love to see how life is going for you...we been cleaning out stuff and packing for boston and me little girl found the super Katie & a key chain "companions 4-eva" i was carcking up. I hope your knees get better or at least used to all the excitement.

Winters Outloud said...

Hmmmmm.... candy.

ilikewinter said...

I had a giant box that my composter came in and when Candi's kids came over yesterday, they were playing all kinds of games in it. I told Doug about it and he said, yeah, of course. I'd want to play in it too! I think past a certain age, though, these things are frowned upon.