Monday, November 8, 2010

Mt. Olympus is finally off my To-Do List

It was on my New Years Resolutions list to hike or climb Mt. Olympus this year. I climbed the North side in the spring and this fall I finally hiked the main trail. I've hiked on it a few times to the creek crossing, but never tried to go to the top. The other day I was walking along it intending to do the same thing and then decided to just go to the top. I'd skipped breakfast and didn't have any food with me and only half a bottle of water since I wasn't planning on a long hike, but the weather was perfect and snow was in the forecast for the rest of the week...and probably the year so I went for it. I thought of turning around near the saddle but I'd managed to make the hike so miserable for myself without food and water I knew if I didn't go to the top now I'd never want to hike it again. I got off a bit, making the hard scramble at the end more like a climb, but the view at the top was worth it and I'm glad I did it. I'm especially glad I did it on my own. It was nice to be up on that summit all by myself. Maybe that's why I have that funny smirk on my face...

The Summit Register

Views in each direction-

West:East:SouthEast:

South North:

No comments: