Friday, August 28, 2009

Cheese

Some people have hobbies, some collect things, some have an illness, a guilty pleasure, or an addiction...mine just all happen to be the same thing. If it wasn't for candy I would probably just live on cheese. My "problem" has been somewhat under control lately but the last time my sister was here she bought some Wensleydale with cranberries and that got me in the mood for trying more new cheeses. Then I stopped by Dan's and there was a sale on Tillamock which broke down my defenses and by the time I passed by their well stocked cheese section it was hopeless. Plus the tomatoes are ripe and nothing goes better with tomatoes in my mind than fresh Mozzarella or a little crumbled Gorgonzola. I hesitate to even mention the fact that a couple months ago I actually ordered cheese from the factory in Holland I'd visited. They make one of my favorites and I couldn't help it. Mmmm... Sheeps Milk Gouda. I'm thinking the next time I get a new cat or dog I'll name it Gouda. Some cheeses bring back such good memories too. Like the time I was living in Monterey for school and a few of the girls and I got big hunks of Havarti with dill and big loaves of fresh bread and sat on Carmel's white sand beach eating it and watching the sunset. What could be better?
I'm not the only one with a love for cheese. Have you ever heard of the annual Gloucester cheese rolling in England? Maybe someday I'll go...then again maybe not.
Here is the current state of the cheese shelf in my fridge. That's right, I have a whole shelf dedicated to just cheese and sometimes it overflows. (and here it is about a year ago) How many can you name? Next time you're over ask to try a few...or a dozen...or 20...

5 comments:

Andy said...

We recently rediscovered the amazing taste of Edam. I don't know why but I'd always remembered it as not so good. And we got some of that Wensleydale with cranberries too. So good with grapes!

KATIE said...

Mmmm...Edam is good. I have some...in the back somewhere. It's not too different from gouda.

Megan D. said...

Have you seen the show Pushing Daisies? If you love cheese this much, you have to watch this show. The main girl lives with her two recluse aunts. She grows up calling the refrigerator a cheesebox. :) You have to see it. :)

Kearl said...

I admire your taste buds. Mine are not so adventurous. I love cheese, but I only like the basics: mild cheddar, Colby, and swiss and mozzarella in things. Every other kind is barfy to me. I always try the samples in Harmon's because they look so good, but then I'm always gagging afterward.

The Adams Family said...

And I thought I liked cheese. I've got to go eat some now